Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMFS or OMS) is specialised surgery of the face, mouth, neck and jaw. Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons require a dual qualification in medicine and dentistry. In the UK it is recognised as a specialty of medicine and a degree in both medicine and dentistry are compulsory.
An Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon can provide a medico legal opinion on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the mouth, jaws, face and neck including:
- Cancer including all surgery to head and neck, misdiagnosis, delay to diagnosis, treatment & skin cancer
- Surgical reconstruction including cosmetic surgery/deformity to face and neck
- Trauma surgery to head and neck including jaw joints
- Dental conditions and claims involving oral surgery
- Facial fractures and facial pain
About our expert in Oral and Maxillofacial / Head and Neck Surgery
Mr Zaid Sadiq, is a Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial/Head and Neck Surgeon at the Queen Victoria Hospital prior to which he worked for many years at other leading hospitals including University College London Hospital and Great Ormond Street.
He has a keen interest in cancer, reconstructive surgery and tissue engineering, as well as providing a spectrum of oral and maxillofacial practice in his role as Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and can accept both adult and paediatric medico legal instructions in a range of specialist areas for either claimant or defendant.
Mr Sadiq is qualified in both medicine and dentistry. He completed higher surgical training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the London KSS region. He completed a Head and Neck reconstruction fellowship in Edinburgh and is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He is an honorary lecturer at University College London.
- A Medicolegal Perspective on Neuropathic Pain The sensation of pain evolved to protect the body from actual and potential harm (1, 2).…07 Sep 2023
- The importance of medical records when defending a claim In most medical negligence claims, the patient’s medical record is the most important source of…16 Aug 2023
- The Medicolegal Challenges of Skin Cancer Management Skin cancer is one of the commonest forms of cancer, currently accounting for around one-third…26 Jul 2023
- The Value a Well-Written Medicolegal Report Can Make to your Defence With any medical procedure, there is an inherent risk that an adverse event may occur,…19 Jul 2023