Plastic surgery is used to repair and reconstruct missing or damaged tissue and skin.
The main aim of plastic surgery is to restore the function of tissues and skin to as close to normal as possible.
Improving the appearance of body parts is an important, but secondary, aim.
Plastic surgery can be used to repair:
- Abnormalities that have existed from birth,
- Areas damaged by the removal of cancerous tissue, such as from the face or breast
- Extensive burns or other serious injuries.
- Nerve injuries for both adults and children
- To improve cosmetic appearance especially where it affects a persons mental health and wellbeing
An expert witness in this area will opine on a range of the key medicolegal issues arising in plastic surgery including consent issues and risk factors in relation to surgeries such as breast surgery; facial surgery; abdominoplasty, liposuction, scarring, burns and pressure sores; hand surgery; and surgery of melanoma and skin malignancies.
About our plastic surgery expert, Pundrique Sharma, Consultant Plastic Surgeon
Pundrique Sharma is a Consultant Plastic Surgeon at the Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool. He performs adult and paediatric plastic surgery and reconstruction, burns surgery and has a special interest in limb reconstruction. Mr Sharma set up a nerve reconstruction unit at the hospital, and treats a variety of peripheral nerve injuries, including those following trauma and obstetrical brachial plexus injury. In addition to this, he has a busy private plastic surgery practice, where he performs a variety of aesthetic procedures including a variety of breast surgery, and body contouring such as abdominoplasty and liposuction.
- Case Study: Compartment Syndrome Mr Ash Vasireddy, Consultant Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon, discusses the case of a fracture that leads…08 Jul 2020READ MORE
- Now booking face-to-face medical consultations Medicolegal Partners’ medical experts are able to perform face-to-face medical consultations with claimants from the…02 Jul 2020READ MORE
- The Medicolegal Challenges of Assessing Patients with Dental, Cranial or Facial Conditions In line with most fields of medicine, litigation involving oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMFS) is…02 Jul 2020READ MORE
- Dr Ramos-Galvez resumes face-to-face consultations Following government guidelines, we are pleased to announce that Dr Ivan Ramos-Galvez is once again…26 Jun 2020READ MORE