Plastic surgery is used to repair and reconstruct missing or damaged tissue and skin.
The main aim of plastic surgery is to restore the function of tissues and skin to as close to normal as possible.
Improving the appearance of body parts is an important, but secondary, aim.
Plastic surgery can be used to repair:
- Abnormalities that have existed from birth,
- Areas damaged by the removal of cancerous tissue, such as from the face or breast
- Extensive burns or other serious injuries.
- Nerve injuries for both adults and children
- To improve cosmetic appearance especially where it affects a persons mental health and wellbeing
An expert witness in this area will opine on a range of the key medicolegal issues arising in plastic surgery including consent issues and risk factors in relation to surgeries such as breast surgery; facial surgery; abdominoplasty, liposuction, scarring, burns and pressure sores; hand surgery; and surgery of melanoma and skin malignancies.
About our plastic surgery expert, Pundrique Sharma, Consultant Plastic Surgeon
Pundrique Sharma is a Consultant Plastic Surgeon at the Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool. He performs adult and paediatric plastic surgery and reconstruction, burns surgery and has a special interest in limb reconstruction. Mr Sharma set up a nerve reconstruction unit at the hospital, and treats a variety of peripheral nerve injuries, including those following trauma and obstetrical brachial plexus injury. In addition to this, he has a busy private plastic surgery practice, where he performs a variety of aesthetic procedures including a variety of breast surgery, and body contouring such as abdominoplasty and liposuction.
- The Role of Neuroimaging in Neonatal Brain Injuries due to Hypoxic-Ischaemic Encephalopathy Brain injuries arising from hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy (HIE) can be devastating and are one of the…19 Oct 2021READ MORE
- Pelvic Mesh Implants: Issues at a Physical and Psychological Level In this second article related to pelvic mesh implants, Dr Ivan Ramos-Galvez, discusses the physical…27 Sep 2021READ MORE
- Latest treatment options for chronic pain Chronic pain is associated with decreased function and also affects the patient’s emotional wellbeing and…15 Sep 2021READ MORE
- The medicolegal challenges of pelvic mesh usage In this article, the first in our series of two on pelvic mesh and its…31 Aug 2021READ MORE